The reality of owning and running your business is that you spend 20% of your time doing what you love – what got you into the business in the first place. The other 80% is doing everything else you need to do to keep money flowing in the door, right?
How’s that working for you so far?
Unless you have an unlimited advertising budget and talented staff to get it done for you, you need to pick and choose your marketing activities. And your goal should be to market constantly. Easier said than done.
When I started writing my first book, I had to schedule writing between my time off and my full-time corporate job. I had two goals. 1) Make the publishing deadline so I could become rich and famous. 2) Keep my job so I could support myself UNTIL I got rich and famous!
My only commodity was time so I looked at the numbers and then backed onto what I needed to do. Whether you’re just starting out and juggling your business with your full-time job; or you’ve been in business awhile and are just wondering where your time goes, try this.
First, decide on how many hours a day you’re going to spend marketing your business. If you’re starting your business you may think you need to work 12 hours a day. And you might have to do that sometimes. But you’ll burn out quickly if you do that week in and week out.
The key to keeping the revenue pipeline filled is marketing consistency. So stick with a time frame that you can use efficiently. You should be able to accomplish your marketing goals in about 2 hours a day. (For more on how best utilize those networking opportunities fill in the form on the right and get my free report. If you have it already…READ it!) Here are some ideas on what to do.
• Attend a networking event or two.
• Follow up with the people you met at the networking event and referrals you’ve received from existing clients
• Plan a group talk that you might promote to these folks and others in your sphere of influence.
Next, make an Activities Calendar.
This week, track your time by writing your activities on a calendar to find out how long it takes to do each task on your list. This way you can see where you’re spending the lion’s share of your time, where you’re wasting time, and what you’re going to do to carve out the 2-hour time frame you need to take your business to the next level. And by writing down “2 hours/day for marketing” and posting it where you can see it everyday, you can keep that in mind as you plan your marketing activities each day and work your plan efficiently.
How do you want to spend your time to keep your marketing efforts consistent? I’d love to read about it so comment below.