The reality of owning and running your small business is that you spend 20% of your time doing what you love – what got you into the business in the first place. The other 80% is doing everything else you need to do to keep money flowing in the door, right?
How’s that working for you so far?
Unless you have an unlimited advertising budget and talented staff to get it done for you, you need to pick and choose your marketing activities that reap the most reward, AND you must market constantly. Tough to do…but stay tuned for some ideas that just may help.
Marketing consistency needs to be your #1 priority to prevent the feast or famine cycle from zapping your energy away from everything you love about your business. Easier said than done, right?
When I started writing my first book, I had to schedule writing between my time off and my full-time corporate job. I had two goals. 1) Make the publishing deadline so I could become rich and famous. 2) Keep my job so I could support myself UNTIL I got rich and famous!
My only commodity was time so I looked at the numbers and then backed onto what I needed to do. Whether you’re just starting out and juggling your business with your full-time job or you’ve been in business awhile and are just wondering where your time goes, try this.
First, decide on how many hours a day you’re going to spend marketing your business. The key to keeping the revenue pipeline filled is marketing consistency. So stick with a time frame that you can use efficiently. (For some more great ideas, actually read the report that you see in the column on the right: How To Work A Room: A Proven 3-Step Formula For Business Professionals Who Hate Netw0rking. You should be able to accomplish your marketing goals in about 2 hours a day. How?
- Attend a networking event.
- Follow up with the people you met at the networking event and referrals you’ve received from existing clients.
- Plan a Group Talk that you might promote to these folks and others in your sphere of influence.
Next, make an Activities Calendar. This week, track your time by writing your activities on a calendar to find out how long it takes to do each task on your list. This way you can see where you’re spending the lion’s share of your time, where you’re wasting time, and what you’re going to do to carve out the 2-hour time frame you need to take your business to the next level.
By writing down “2 hours/day for marketing” and posting it where you can see it everyday, you can keep that in mind as you plan your marketing activities — Your #1 Priority so you, too, can become rich and famous!
How do you plan to spend your time keeping your marketing efforts consistent? I’d love to read about those activities that are working the best for you so please, comment below.